Designed to be a dramatic transformation of the existing school originally built in 1957 and added to in 1961 and 1988 the exterior design features a contemporary, cohesive façade, eliminating the visual hodgepodge created by additions of various vintages. A key element of the design is a new main entrance at the southwest corner, clearly identifying the school's primary entry. The carved-granite archway of the original West Valley High School is prominently positioned in the two-story glass lobby and visible from the building's exterior. A new 1,865-seat main-events gymnasium was added with a fitness area overlooking the athletic fields above the lockers adjacent to the gym. The new library serves as a strong architectural focus in the center of the building near the existing theater with its 150-seat addition. In the interior, the new commons/cafeteria emerges as a striking centerpiece of the high school visible from the diagonal entry. With an enclosed courtyard outside, the space serves as the social center for students and an after-hours meeting space for the community.
2008 Robert Fraser Excellence in Masonry Design Award, Masonry Industry Promotion Group