Director of Research & Experience Development
The primary mission of NAC Architecture is to create great places and transform communities. We seek to design spaces that advance learning and enrich the lives of our community members. Creating meaningful solutions for patients, students, teachers, parents and school administrators begins with a deep understanding of their needs. We invest our resources in conducting research and sharing this knowledge to imagine new ways to solve the challenges of our built environment.
NAC is currently seeking a Director of Research and Experience Development to be responsible for conceptualizing compelling and meaningful opportunities for our architects and clients. The Director develops competitive advantages related to the building design solutions and helps to take that knowledge and apply it outwardly to attract clients. This position works closely with the IT team to help create organizational memory and with Marketing to push information outward. The perfect candidate will be located in any one of our locations – Seattle or Spokane, WA or in the Chinatown area of Los Angeles, CA.
The Director will work closely with patients, students, educators, architects and designers to develop ideas for new buildings, services and experiences. You will also work to uncover important human-centered insights that drive great design and innovation, helps NAC to transform those insights into design solutions, and ultimately contributes to the ongoing development of NAC as an expert in educational architecture and healthcare design.
- Strategic partner to NAC Market Sector Leaders as NAC evolves to meet the needs of their growing diverse client base: early learning, K-12, higher education, and healthcare.
- In depth understanding of published research in the field of human-environment interaction, cognitive psychology, interactive design, user-centered design, early childhood education, K-12 education, higher education, and student development theory among others.
- Oversee dissemination of outside research within NAC; research important to our markets and clients to grow NAC’s institutional knowledge of relevant issues that face NAC clients.
- Plan, recruit, conduct, analyze and present results from user research such as pre-and post-occupancy surveys, user interviews, focus groups, and observations.
- Produce qualitative and quantitative data analysis and visualization.
- Support project teams in the development of creative, compelling and appropriate design solutions for every project.
- Oversee potential partnerships with outside entities to develop and/or support research projects of interest to NAC.
- Establish budgets, short and long-term objectives, and criteria for monitoring progress and measuring success of the Research and Experience Development (RED) department.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Demonstrated ability in researching specific audience types and adapt design for specific needs, goals, traits and preferences.
- Understanding of human –centered design philosophy, comfortable with ambiguity, and desire to push design methodologies.
- Excellent at turning human behavior and needs into real concepts.
- Obsession with what design can do for people.
- You love collaborating with others.
- You toggle comfortably between leading and doing.
- Must possess a Master’s degree or higher in Education, or 6+ years working in the education industry, or similar experience at other firms.
- 1-2 years of working experience requiring user research (planning, conducting, analyzing) and/or UX design as one of the primary responsibilities.
- Experience with graphic and UI design tools including Adobe Creative Suite and Sketch is preferred.
- Strong visualization skills, with a command of typography, color, grid and hierarchy as it relates to user interface design is also preferred.
- Please send letter of interest, Resume or CV, and work sample to Human Resources. NAC offers a very generous benefit package that includes health and retirement benefits as well as professional development and growth.
- NAC Architecture is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race; color; ancestry; religion; marital status; sex; sexual orientation; citizenship; national origin; age; physical or mental handicaps or disabilities; medical condition; or special disabled, Vietnam-era or veteran status or any other basis protected by law. No question on our application is intended to secure information to be used for such discrimination. Applicants for employment are evaluated on the basis of educational training, professional or other employment experience, professional licensing (when appropriate), and job-related skills and knowledge. If you require accommodation to complete an application or for the interview process, please contact the Human Resources Department.