Built in 1912, Lewis and Clark High School had not undergone any major improvements to its historic main building in over 80 years until this comprehensive modernization and major addition was undertaken. The finished 316,000-square-foot school includes a total modernization and restoration of the main building, including repair of the exterior brick and terra cotta façade and replacement of the wood sash windows. A 12-classroom addition to the main building blends seamlessly with the existing architecture.
Featuring a contemporary design, the addition, with its brick and precast-concrete façade, evokes images of the original building. Inside the renovated structure, the auditorium has been restored to its original grandeur and all classrooms have been entirely reconfigured and updated with the latest technology for fiber-optic telecommunications and mechanical systems, flawlessly integrated into the building. The sensitive restoration extends to the historic wood panel doors, marble stairs and partitions, and terrazzo floors, which were refurbished and reinstalled.
A new building containing an events field house and athletic complex, band and choir facilities, and underground parking is linked by a pedestrian sky bridge to the modernized older structure. The new building was designed as a contemporary interpretation of the traditional academic style - complementing the original building with its massing, materials and details - yet is restrained and subdued, paying respect to the splendor of the original refurbished building. Off-site amenities include a renovated athletic facility, complete with locker rooms, located at an existing athletic field complex.